[tei-council] hello; release plans

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jun 26 12:49:02 EDT 2013

On 13-06-26 09:25 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 26/06/13 16:56, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> July 5 is sort of OK with me, although I'm flying out for England very
>> early the following morning, so I won't be staying up late.
>>
>> I was the first release button-pusher from outside Oxford, IIRC. It
>> might be worth reviewing the Council archives and, if possible, copies
>> of James's IRC chat logs (you have logs, don't you, James?) from the
>> last release to see what went wrong.
>
> Do you really want me to admit publicly that I have logs of IRC
> channels I'm logged into including all the work ones where
> colleagues make all sorts of jokes they wouldn't want circulated
> more widely?  I'm not sure I want to admit to that...

I would have thought that you would diligently save the logs only of
those IRC sessions where TEI releases were happening, after editing out
all irrelevant content before storing them for posterity. On the other
hand, you may discover that you have inadvertently captured logs that
you never intended to capture, but which serendipitously turn out to be
useful.

>> Usually it's one or two tiny
>> things, and a couple of typos spotted late in the day, which throw the
>> whole thing off so it all has to be rebuilt again several times.
>
> Yes, hopefully the freeze will have helped with that.
>
> I have changed the VERSION file to be 2.4.0 which I think we
> should probably change in the tcw22 steps at the point where we
> freeze the repository.  I have also added a
> ReleaseNotes/readme-2.4.0.xml and would ask Council to add
> <item>s to this list of updates that they think have been
> significant.  (Or email them to me and I'll do it.) If we can do
> that over the next week that would be good!

Actually, I think steps 1 through 5 can be done right now -- and the
earlier the better, really, so that we see the changes to version
numbers etc. show up in the right place.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)