[tei-council] Guidelines TOC page again

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu May 23 18:41:46 EDT 2013

On 13-05-23 01:58 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 23/05/13 20:30, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> I was with you until "flags for languages". :-)
>
> Really? I was about to suggest the same thing!

I don't like the idea that languages are associated with national
entities. It's only a rough match at best. Are you going to include
flags of every French-speaking country for the French one, for instance?
Or insult some French-speaking countries by leaving them out?

>> I have a couple of ideas about making the headings look more sectional.
>> The icons came only in that size (16 x 16), but I can look around for
>> some larger ones if necessary, or re-create them (they're
>> Creative-Commons-attribution).
>
> They need to be bigger, definitely

I'll create new ones based on the originals then.

> I only have two (minor) grumbles
>
> 1. The text immediately above the double line ("P5: Guidelines for
> Electronic Text Encoding and Interchange/ Version 2.3.0. Last updated on
> 17th January 2013.") seems to be all over the place margin-wise. Maybe
> it should be centred? Or flush right so as not to interfere with the
> search box? At the moment it looks very messy.

I haven't changed that bit at all:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/index-toc.html>

but I agree, it needs fixing. Will do.

> 2. Could we perhaps get two levels of open/close menu effect in the toc?
> at the moment if you open up the core chapter to see all the sections,
> you see them all down to the lowest level. Could we not just open the
> first hierarchic level?

I guess so, if everybody thinks it's a good idea. I just lifted the
actual index lists from the existing page. I think personally I like it
as it is -- go to the chapter, or inspect the chapter, rather than click
over and over again to drill down.

> I don't think the columns should be in boxes. Quite enough lines on this
> page already.

Agreed.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)