[tei-council] contact for i18n work

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sun May 12 15:51:00 EDT 2013

I agree this is a good suggestion, but I would go further. What I think
I meant to suggest (and this may not actually require any expense) is
that we be more proactive in encouraging/commissioning translations. We
as Council may not have any Bengali or Chinese speakers among us
(although we do have French, Italian, Greek and Russian speakers) but
I'm sure between us and other active members of the community we know some.

For example, even the Tagore scholars who don't currently use TEI could,
I am sure, be persuaded to furnish us with some instances of the sorts
of things that we want to mark up in examples in the Guidelines, so that
they could be made available alongside the English examples. (And if in
the process they give us examples of things that the TEI could do
better: bingo!) A wealth of Spanish examples would I bet be even easier
to come up with.

(In fact I know someone who is marking up a text in mediaeval Greek,
Russian, Bulgarian, Italian, Arabic [as well as English and French]
translations as we speak. Should we dig out a few examples from them?)

My point is, if we made it a priority to collect a few more examples
that are not in English, would that help to show we're not entirely
monoglot and imperialist? (By precisely being a bit less monoglot and
imperialist.) Advertising our work with/interest in Omegat couldn't hurt
either.

I know this means more work, and we're already short-handed for
everything we'd like to do. I'd be willing to throw a bit of work in
this direction.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy