[tei-council] Today's little puzzle

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 24 16:02:36 EDT 2013

> When people ask me why I don't document the XSL,
> I wonder whether anyone actually _reads_ http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-xsl-common/

I have seen that, but it's hard to figure out how it applies to the
Guidelines. They have their own guidelines.xsl.model; that gets renamed
to guidelines.xsl and changed a bit before use, such that instead of
importing
http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/stylesheet/odds2/odd2html.xsl it
imports the local copy in your TEI install -- or possibly the version
from the repo if you supplied that as a parameter. That then imports a
stack of other stuff. I find it impossible to remember where things
happen, so I have to figure it out anew every time.

This is not a criticism at all -- it's just an acknowledgement that this
stuff is really hard to figure out, and it has often defeated me in the
past.

With regard to the suggestion for a pre-processing step: xmllint is
wicked fast at doing XIncludes, and I bet there would be a noticeable
time penalty if we were to do them with XSLT, but if we could achieve a
lot of other work at the same time it might be worth it. We should
definitely test whether it would be quicker to do the near-identity
transform just to process the PIs, then use xmllint on the result to
expand the XIncludes.

On 13-04-24 10:44 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>>> nah, this would be ad hoc transform in Utilities, like
>>> p5subset.xsl. the later stylesheets would just see vanilla
>>> TEI.
>>
>> Surely this is the problem we need to solve in helping to make
>> the Stylesheets more accessible to a larger community of developers.
>

> sorry, but this a complete red herring. I am suggesting that we add a stage
> in the Guidelines build process with an almost-identity tranform which
> expands stats PIs, and XIncludes.
>
> this has nothing to do with the general stylesheets and how to persuade
> people that it is not that hard to hack them.
>
> When people ask me why I don't document the XSL,
> I wonder whether anyone actually _reads_ http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-xsl-common/
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research) of Academic IT