[tei-council] Today's little puzzle

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 24 18:16:38 EDT 2013

On 24 Apr 2013, at 21:02, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
 wrote:

> I have seen that, but it's hard to figure out how it applies to the
> Guidelines. They have their own guidelines.xsl.model; that gets renamed
> to guidelines.xsl and changed a bit before use, such that instead of
> importing
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/stylesheet/odds2/odd2html.xsl it
> imports the local copy in your TEI install -- or possibly the version
> from the repo if you supplied that as a parameter

yeah, thats a bit devious, I agree. I could recast that as a profile
called "teiguidelines" which might be sensible. I will try and get to that.

> With regard to the suggestion for a pre-processing step: xmllint is
> wicked fast at doing XIncludes, and I bet there would be a noticeable
> time penalty if we were to do them with XSLT
a bit. it takes 3 seconds starting from cold, but thats loading a JVM.
If it was just another job in the Ant script, probably only adds a few seconds or two

> , but if we could achieve a
> lot of other work at the same time it might be worth it.

I have done it anyway, as easy to do as to discuss.
the change took the build time from 2min 29sec to 2 min39 sec,
so seems safe. that should let you implement whatever you like
in Utilities/expand.xsl

see antbuilder.xml for the sequence of events. this pleases me,
cos it takes more and more magic out of the Unix-specific Makefile
into the ant scripts which are easier to understand, I hope.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services