[tei-council] respond by 1 May: summary of and path forward for "no longer recommended" and "deprecated" practices

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 21 09:18:25 EDT 2013

On 21/04/13 10:53, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> On 19/04/2013 17:54, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> I meant the third of these.  I have elaborated the sentence in the
>> document.  As I understood our discussion, the decision to make
>> something "no longer recommended" does not entail that it will
>> definitely be removed in P6; therefore, we do not need to add this to
>> the P6-dev page.
>
> But they might, mightn't they? So perhaps we should say "should not
> automatically be added to the p6-dev wiki page, but may if we feel that
> it is a candidate for more proactive discussion at a post-P5 level" or
> similar?

I'd agree with this -- appearance on this wiki page is just a
mechanism for reminder for Council to reconsider these at a time
of greater transition.

Just to re-iterate that the p6-dev wiki page is just a list of
things we've decided not to implement until post-P5. (It doesn't
necessarily imply we'll do them at P6, just that we've decided
that we won't do them as part of P5.) It is of course possible to
re-examine these decisions at any point. A later elected Council
may decide the earlier Council was completely wrong and doing X
is worth breaking backwards compatibility, etc. As we've seen
from reversing earlier decisions, these are not necessarily set
in stone (or they are, but we have a hammer and chisel), we just
shouldn't do so lightly.

In development of a P6 *all* elements would and should be up for
discussion of inclusion/removal/redefinition. Since one of the
criteria for needing a P6 is "the emergence of new technologies
(e.g. the transition from SGML to XML)" the entire way these
elements function or relate to each other might be different. The
other criterion for considering P6 is the "development of a new
architecture that conveys substantial benefit (e.g., the
development of the new class system)". I'm of the opinion that we
currently have no proposals that really meet either of these
criteria. (i.e. that everything we want to do can be done in P5
or has been deemed too disruptive in itself and is thus put off
for reconsideration until we're doing other major disruptive
transitions such as to P6 or later).

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk