[tei-council] Setting up chapters for translation

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 14:58:44 EDT 2013

On 25/03/13 17:19, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2013, at 16:55, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>   wrote:
>
>>   - Shall we go ahead and fragment the CO chapter as a test?
>>
> if Florence does not choose to translate CO, I am not sure what its
> a test of? I am inclined to say do all chapters now or wait
> until we need to

I can't see that it makes a lot of difference whether we split them all
now or as and when we need to, but I've always been a "just-in-time"
kind of person myself.

>>   - If so, do we believe that the granularity of the fragmenting (level
>> 1 sections) is correct, or should we be breaking things down further?
>>
> I'd say below div1 is impractical

you mean div2. We already do xincludes for all the div1s in the file
guidelines-xx.xml

>>   - Should we keep the overview in the main structure file, along with
>> the intro?
>
> i am inclined to yes. have a single file with the whole structure, and one huge set of XIncluded <div>1

see above. i otoh think it would be simpler just need to revise each
XX-chapter.xml file to be a container for each of *its* top level divs
(in the older chapters these are labelled @type=div2)

> and I'd suggest to Florence that pretty please translate the whole structure into French
> first, then do a bunch of <div>1 at her leisure. Then we have a French Guidelines
> in skeletal form ready to roll.

Not sure what you mean by that, nor what advantage it would give over
tweaking the current guidelines-fr.xml

> it would also make file management easier if we had
>
>    guidelines-en.xml
>    guidelines-fr.xml
>    divs-fr/*.xml
>    divs-en/*.xml

if you like. i was assuming

a. take current CO. xml and replace all of its top level divs by
xincludes of files named for the current xml:id value e.g COPA.xml,
CONU.xml etc.

b. copy that to a new CO-fr.xml which is then xincluded by
guidelines-fr.xml

c. when e.g. COPA.xml gets translated, we add a new file COPA-fr.xml and
tweak the xInclude in CO-fr.xml to include that instead of COPA.xml

d. if e.g. COPA.xml is modified subsequently we will notice that its
date is more recent than that of COPA-fr.xml and ring appropriate alarum
bells

There will be less need to tweak the xInclude statements if we keep the
directory structure flat, obvs.