[tei-council] Setting up chapters for translation

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 18:06:01 EDT 2013

On 25 Mar 2013, at 18:58, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> if Florence does not choose to translate CO, I am not sure what its
>> a test of? I am inclined to say do all chapters now or wait
>> until we need to
>
> I can't see that it makes a lot of difference whether we split them all
> now or as and when we need to, but I've always been a "just-in-time"
> kind of person myself.
I'm more in favour of implementing it straightaway if we're ever going to

> you mean div2. We already do xincludes for all the div1s in the file
> guidelines-xx.xml

yeah, all my div1 i meant div2

> see above. i otoh think it would be simpler just need to revise each
> XX-chapter.xml file to be a container for each of *its* top level divs
> (in the older chapters these are labelled @type=div2)

I was after the abstract beauty of an entire top level doc with all its div1 in place

> a. take current CO. xml and replace all of its top level divs by
> xincludes of files named for the current xml:id value e.g COPA.xml,
> CONU.xml etc.
>
> b. copy that to a new CO-fr.xml which is then xincluded by
> guidelines-fr.xml
>
> c. when e.g. COPA.xml gets translated, we add a new file COPA-fr.xml and
> tweak the xInclude in CO-fr.xml to include that instead of COPA.xml
>
> d. if e.g. COPA.xml is modified subsequently we will notice that its
> date is more recent than that of COPA-fr.xml and ring appropriate alarum
> bells

i have a small dislike of a) embedding metadata (@lang) in file names, and b) special-casing english,
FWIW.

Director (Research) of Academic IT