[tei-council] sluice your glosses

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 12:14:30 EST 2013

On 28/02/13 12:56, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> There is a distinction between explaining the rationale for a name, and describing the ways that the thing named should be used.
> there is indeed. and getting into it is called "problematisation" in the trade :-}

The TEI is all about "problematization" of that kind. Don't say you
hadn't noticed !

>>   And isn't it a good idea to enforce some discipline about always putting the expansion in parens at the start?
> to be honest, no. its over-prescriptive.

Well, why have a structured description of elements at all then? Why not
just bung it all into a rambling paragraph of text? Hey wait a minute,
we could just use XHTML for that!

>>> Norm Walsh doesn't feel the need at http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/lhs.html
>>> to be explicit that "lhs" stands for left hand side", it is better done in his "The left-hand side of an EBNF production"
>>>
>> ... which means that when you translate "the left hand side of an EBNF production" into French you are completely stumped as to why this thing is called "lhs"
>>
> thats up the French translator to decide whether or not the user needs to know the derivation of the tag name.
>
> hey, i sound like Lou, promoting freedom for the authors to do what they want!

Actually, the difference between "author" and "translator" is really
rather crucuial here. Most translators I know would feel it was
definitely exceeding their brief to do more than translate the text in
front of them.