[tei-council] sluice your glosses

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 07:56:30 EST 2013

On 28 Feb 2013, at 12:34, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>
 wrote:

> On 28/02/13 12:25, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> I incline to think that lou is problematising this. Give an element or attribute a <desc> field,
>> and let the ODD author put in there whatever is needed to explain it to the user. if
>> that involves prefixing it "(line break)", that's fine by me.
>>

> There is a distinction between explaining the rationale for a name, and describing the ways that the thing named should be used.

there is indeed. and getting into it is called "problematisation" in the trade :-}

>  And isn't it a good idea to enforce some discipline about always putting the expansion in parens at the start?

to be honest, no. its over-prescriptive.

>> Norm Walsh doesn't feel the need at http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/lhs.html
>> to be explicit that "lhs" stands for left hand side", it is better done in his "The left-hand side of an EBNF production"
>>

> ... which means that when you translate "the left hand side of an EBNF production" into French you are completely stumped as to why this thing is called "lhs"

thats up the French translator to decide whether or not the user needs to know the derivation of the tag name.

hey, i sound like Lou, promoting freedom for the authors to do what they want!

> (a) adding more waffle into the existing <gloss>es as and when someone says they are puzzled by their meanings
> (b) removing all existing <gloss>es entirely
> (c) merging existing <gloss>es into their sibling <desc>s
> (d) restricting  <gloss>es to expansions and moving any useful waffle elsewhere?

( c ), probably zapping some along the way.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services