[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 06:19:21 EST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 10:34, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at BROWN.EDU> wrote:

> Shouldn't the Guidelines explain exactly what happens when an element
> that has a default attribute value specified in its ODD is processed
> by a DTD, RELAX NG, XML Schema, or non-validating processor?

I did just look at this, and I see we do generate the default
formally in XSD:
     <xs:attribute name="type" default="simple">

so we can be in a number of different situations when we process a document
containing <list>:

 1. we use no schema at all: we get no knowledge of "simple"
 2. we refer to an XSD but use a no-frills XSL processor: we get no knowledge of "simple"
 3. we refer to a XSD and use a full schema-aware XSL parser: we can see type="simple"  but its not auto-interpolated (?)
 4. we refer to a DTD and use a full XML parser: we have type="simple"  interpolated for us
 5. we refer to a DTD and use a minimal XML parser: we get no knowledge of "simple"
 6. we refere to a RELAX NG schema: we get no knowledge of "simple" except in help during editing by some editors

pretty unsatisfactory, isn't it?
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services