[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 05:42:29 EST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 10:34, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu>
 wrote:

> But that said, I'm not sure <defaultVal> *should* be depreated to
> extinction. I think it should just be far better documented to say
> what it *means*. Since the underlying language of TEI is RELAX NG,
> the default value is not much more than a suggestion to processors.
> But our documentation doesn't say anything along these lines at all.

But when the RNG is converted to XSD, and you use a schema-aware processor,
the defaultVal becomes formal again, I think?

> Shouldn't the Guidelines explain exactly what happens when an element
> that has a default attribute value specified in its ODD is processed
> by a DTD, RELAX NG, XML Schema, or non-validating processor?

I agree. if we keep it, lets explain it. if we can't explain it, we should
drop it.

there is an intermediate solution - keep defaultVal in ODD, but not
use it ourselves in P5.

a propose of <list>, I'd just make @type mandatory there….

Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services