[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Feb 6 05:34:50 EST 2013

While I'm not against improving our deprecation procedures, I'd be
happy to have the paper tiger attack <defaultVal> in the meantime.

But that said, I'm not sure <defaultVal> *should* be depreated to
extinction. I think it should just be far better documented to say
what it *means*. Since the underlying language of TEI is RELAX NG,
the default value is not much more than a suggestion to processors.
But our documentation doesn't say anything along these lines at all.

Shouldn't the Guidelines explain exactly what happens when an element
that has a default attribute value specified in its ODD is processed
by a DTD, RELAX NG, XML Schema, or non-validating processor? Or is
that getting too process-specific for text encoding guidelines?
(Right now, I'm leaning strongly towards "yes, we should explain
this".)