[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 06:43:58 EST 2013

I think I'm with Lou and partly with Gabby here.

When something is deprecated, it is deprecated. It should get a
little red warning on the reference page. And it would be even
better if there was a date attached so it could say 'To be
removed at the release following 2014-01-13' or something.  IF
our user community read the reference pages regularly then I
think that is where it should end.  However, I think it much more
likely that they use the schemas in oxygen, start putting in an
element and if it is allowed then it is allowed.  Thus schematron
warning rules and a change to the description might be beneficial.

I see the following options on deprecation:

A) Marked as deprecated on the reference page preferably with a
note with date or similar at which it will be removed.

B) Marked as deprecated on the reference page preferably with a
note with date or similar at which it will be removed, and a
schematron warning rule set up.

C) Marked as deprecated on the reference page preferably with a
note with date or similar at which it will be removed, a
schematron warning rule set up, and the <desc> changed to be
prefixed with 'DEPRECATED: '.

Changing the <desc> will result in people noticing this in
tooltips in software like oXygen, make it that much more evident
on the reference page, and where specDesc has been used to pull
in the description elsewhere.

Of these I'd prefer that we are the clearest we can possibly be,
and so would vote for C.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk