[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 06:27:40 EST 2013

I never use warnings in my Schematron, primarily because they're
annoying. If something is disrecommended rather than incorrect, then
presumably that means it's sometimes right, and I don't want to get a
validation error (even if it is a less "wrong" color) every time it
occurs. I don't know any validator that doesn't say "errors found" when
schematron issues warnings.

That said, I think the value of deprecation is precisely that people can
carry on using the deprecated attribute (vel sim) without having to
think about it especially, just receiving a gentle warning (in the
Guidelines, I guess) rather than that people have to speifically
re-introduce a deprecation module to their schema to keep the attribute
around. In general people who want to be this proactive with their
schemas are the ones who will take account of deprecation the soonest.

tl;dr I vote for the red "Deprecated" flag in the element/class Spec page.

Gabby

On 2013-01-14 09:43, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2013, at 23:57, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>   wrote:
>
>>> Does Schematron formally support Warnings as opposed to Errors?
>>
>> I use them in my Schematron and they certainly work in Oxygen. You just
>> get a yellow icon instead of a red one in your validation results at the
>> bottom of the screen.
>>
> sounds like we should use this immediately to indicate deprecation?
>
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities