[tei-council] att.sourced (<lb ed="1674">) contradiction

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 16:06:36 EST 2013

No I agree with you that a pointer makes sense, and of the three options

a. define @ed to take text, like @cRef
b. define @ed to be a pointer and take a uri
c. fork @ed so we have ways to do both the above

I like (a) the least. But I'm a bit torn between b. and c., simply
because of all the people who have been misled by the text ("A string of
characters or sigil used conventionally to identify the edition") and
example in the guidelines, which I suspect is the majority. (I haven't
used @ed very often, and certainly not very recently, but I don't recall
what I put in it. Probably not a pointer.)

Not feeling strongly enough about this to shout if there is a clear
consensus for (b), however. :-)

Gabby

On 05/01/2013 14:00, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2013, at 13:39, Gabriel Bodard <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>
>   wrote:
>
>> What about all the people who are now using @ed to contain a cRef like
>> string that "conventionally expresses" the edition that has a linebreak
>> at this point? (They should stop and start using a pointer instead of a
>> cRef, I agree, but backwards compatibility?)
>
> people who are currently saying <lb ed="1665"/> are pointing
> at a local file called "1665", though they realize it or not.
>
> the alternative is to change data.code to be simply text,
> but the consider the question on TEI-L, where the questioner
> asks where to define what @ed refers to.
>
> in fact, the _text_ about @ed really seems to suggest
> use of data.key ("the range of attribute values expressing a coded value by means of an arbitrary
> identifier, typically taken from a set of externally-defined possibilities")
>
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Department of Digital Humanities