[tei-council] att.sourced (<lb ed="1674">) contradiction

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 09:00:09 EST 2013

On 5 Jan 2013, at 13:39, Gabriel Bodard <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>
 wrote:

> What about all the people who are now using @ed to contain a cRef like
> string that "conventionally expresses" the edition that has a linebreak
> at this point? (They should stop and start using a pointer instead of a
> cRef, I agree, but backwards compatibility?)

people who are currently saying <lb ed="1665"/> are pointing
at a local file called "1665", though they realize it or not.

the alternative is to change data.code to be simply text,
but the consider the question on TEI-L, where the questioner
asks where to define what @ed refers to.

in fact, the _text_ about @ed really seems to suggest
use of data.key ("the range of attribute values expressing a coded value by means of an arbitrary
identifier, typically taken from a set of externally-defined possibilities")

http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services