[tei-council] att.sourced (<lb ed="1674">) contradiction

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 08:39:09 EST 2013

What about all the people who are now using @ed to contain a cRef like
string that "conventionally expresses" the edition that has a linebreak
at this point? (They should stop and start using a pointer instead of a
cRef, I agree, but backwards compatibility?) I'm not sure if I'm
suggesting forking @ed into @ed-string and @ed-ref, but I worry a little
bit about it.

Gabby

On 05/01/2013 13:11, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2013, at 03:38, Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info> wrote:
>
>> Looking through the history in Subversion, I see that att.sourced has
>> had data.code since the beginning, when it was implemented as part of
>> http://purl.org/TEI/FR/2216574 .
>
> true. but what we're missing is a collective memory of how we intended
> data.code to work. It isn't used anywhere else except att.sourced, and
> I cant recall now why it is different to data.pointer. I think I remember there _was_
> discussion about that, but I can't trace it.
>
> Mr Occam would suggest that the correct course of action could be
>
>    - remove data.code
>    - change att.sourced to use data.pointer
>    - change prose to say that @ed must point to something
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Department of Digital Humanities