[tei-council] G'hub vs SF

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 13 12:27:33 EST 2012

I bet this will double your work. You'll get lots of contributors
breaking the Stylesheets in GitHub, or making changes you have to mess
with, and then you'll have a tremendous job filtering out the desired
from the undesirable changes to be migrated over to the SF fork; and
over time, the two projects will drift further and further apart.

I think I would be more in favour of making the Stylesheets an official
project, and taking a more cautious approach to their development, so
you don't feel you have to leap in and fix things at midnight whenever a
ticket comes in, because you're the only one competent to edit the code.
I have long had the intention of forcing myself to learn how all that
works, so I could be some sort of backup for you, but lots of other
tickets have got in the way of that. Perhaps we could make a concerted
plan for a few of us to take some of that weight off you.

On the other hand, if what you'd really like to do is hack away merrily
every midnight without worrying that you're going to break the builds on
Jenkins, then forking would be the obvious solution. :-)

On 12-12-13 09:04 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Actually, I do have a proposal. which is to move the entire development of Stylesheets
> to Github, with all its fandangles like docx to TEI; and to maintain a stable
> fork of a subset for the TEI-C.
>
> so this lets me fool around in public, hopefully with other people,
> doing a community work on TEI <--> XXX; while separately,
> more slowly, making sure the Consortium gets its outputs right.
>
> feel free to shoot me down
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)