[tei-council] Upgrading TEI Project on SF

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Wed Dec 5 11:58:36 EST 2012

It would seem that the most important thing would be to contact everyone who has
write privileges on TEI-SF and ask whether anyone is in the middle of major
changes to code/Guidelines. If not, set a deadline for committing any
uncommitted changes to SVN, and then institute a code freeze while migrating the
repository. After which everyone would presumably have to check out a new copy
or copies of source.

David

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, James Cummings wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> SourceForge seems to be recommending people upgrade their project
> to their new Allura platform.  However, this gives some
> unintended side effects, like it will break all currently checked
> out versions of the SVN repository, and all our URLs will change
> (I'll have to change where those handy PURLs go, but at least
> they should still work, old full URLs might not).
>
> We will have to do this *sometime* the question I guess I have
> for you is when is the right time to do this?
>
> Sebastian will say that we should use this as an opportunity to
> move any non-Guidelines community contributed but TEIC owned
> software to our shiny new github account at
> https://github.com/organizations/TEIC which is another
> discussion.  (e.g. should things like Byzantium and
> odd-by-example move there)
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Info from Sourceforge below.
>
> -James
>
> =====
>
> Upgrading your project to the Allura platform gives you access to
> some great new features, including custom tracker fields,
> integrated wiki, blog and code browsing tools, threaded
> discussions, and more! Here are changes you can expect to see
> when you upgrade your project:
>
> Will be upgraded
> At this time, we are able to update the following aspects of your
> project:
> Meta-data (name, description, trove categories, etc)
> Members and permissions
> Project News
> Forums
> Hosted Applications and Project Web
> Virtual Host configuration and MySQL databases
> Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Bazaar and CVS repositories
> Mailing Lists
> Tracker data
> Project Donations*
>
> Will not be upgraded
> These items will not be moved to your upgraded project:
> Project Help Wanted
> SCM stats, Forum stats, Ticket stats & Traffic stats
> Trac will no longer integrate with SVN
>
> Will work exactly the same
> These items will continue to function they way they currently do:
> Project summary page
> File releases and download stats
> Project Reviews
>
> Note that the URLs used to access your code repositories will
> change, and an email will be sent to all project developers with
> the new URLs after the upgrade is complete.
>
> Once you click Upgrade, the upgrade will be scheduled and will
> begin shortly. Any changes made to your project while the upgrade
> is in progress may not be reflected in the upgraded project.
>
> Prior to upgrading, you can obtain a copy of your project's data
> as an XML file by clicking on the project name, selecting Project
> Admin » Features, then selecting XML Export.

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA