[tei-council] Oddity with Roma

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 12:02:47 EST 2012

On 15 Nov 2012, at 16:29, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> Other people at the same workshop managed to generate broken schemas
> too; a problem I saw twice was duplicate definitions of att.ascribed.

can you reproduce that?

> We
> had no trouble with schemas where people just added modules, but once
> they started removing elements and attributes from their modules, they
> had some problems. I hadn't really thought before how easy it is to
> generate something irrational if you don't know exactly what you're
> doing

gosh yes. that's exactly why the sanity check exists.

> When I get a chance to check out the latest Byzantium I'll try running
> it through there.

Byzantium and Roma both simply call OxGarage to do any processing,
so don't expect differences!

Byzantium does now have some features that Roma does not - for example, it
does not allow you to get at attributes on an element coming from a
class, if the class is defined in a module you haven't loaded yet. Nick is working
at the moment on some graphical display of your choices, which I think
may be a direction teachers will like.

Github aficionadoes may like to grab from https://github.com/Burlinn/Byzantium
and give the eastern Rome a twirl on the dancefloor. He (Nick) only has two
more weeks on this, so we won't get a lot more functionality done, but I think
it is a foundation our community can build on. It is a lot easier to hack than Roma,
comprising under 1000 lines of Javascript, and no external dependencies apart
from OxGarage.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services