[tei-council] Oddity with Roma

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Nov 15 11:29:10 EST 2012

On 12-11-15 05:43 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 15/11/12 01:01, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> I have an ODD file here:
>>
>> <https://hcmc.uvic.ca/people/martin/test/london_all2.odd>
>>
>> When I generate an RNG schema from it, the schema seems to disallow some
>> attributes which I haven't explicitly removed. Specifically, it doesn't
>> allow:
>>
>> @rend on <hi>
>> @xml:lang on <foreign>
>
> It seems suspiciously coincidental that these two attributes used to be
> locally defined on their specific elements, rather than being inherited
> from the att.global class. I wonder if you're picking up an old version
> of something somewhere along the way?

Judging by the svn log, this must have happened quite a while ago. The
first time I worked on this schema would have been the summer of 2011,
and I've tweaked the ODD file repeatedly since then, but I've never used
Roma to do it. Yesterday, at a TEI workshop we were giving, one of our
RAs took my ODD file and uploaded it into Roma to add some new elements
and attributes he needed. The result was the broken schema, although as
far as I can see there's nothing wrong with the ODD file itself.

Other people at the same workshop managed to generate broken schemas
too; a problem I saw twice was duplicate definitions of att.ascribed. We
had no trouble with schemas where people just added modules, but once
they started removing elements and attributes from their modules, they
had some problems. I hadn't really thought before how easy it is to
generate something irrational if you don't know exactly what you're
doing -- you can for instance remove <biblStruct> and leave <analytic>,
and then the sanity checker will rightly point out that you can't get to
<analytic> from anywhere; that sort of thing isn't Roma's fault, and I
don't think it causes a broken schema in itself, but it all made me
realize that Roma isn't really a tool for novices, once you go beyond
selecting your modules.

When I get a chance to check out the latest Byzantium I'll try running
it through there.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)