[tei-council] Uploading files to the WIKI (fwd)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sun Nov 4 20:51:34 EST 2012

I am getting the same error message. But it is totally ignorable, no?

Here is all that I did:

1) Click "Upload file" in sidebar.

2) Upload a random XML file on my machine called Test.xml

3) The file uploads, and produces a file page that indeed contains an ominous
warning:

http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/File:Test.xml

but it doesn't prevent the file from being opened:

http://wiki.tei-c.org/images/d/d1/Test.xml

or referenced:

http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/User:DavidSewell

(click on link in last line).

If an ordinary registered user can do that, we have no problem, I think.

David

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, James Cummings wrote:

> Bah I've hacked and hacked and hacked and not been able to solve this.
>
> I went through includes/SpecialUpload.php commenting out *all* the checks it
> does on mimetype, on whether it is an HTML file, javascript, etc. ...  ihad
> huge functions  doing absolutely nothing but returning that everything was
> ok.
>
> *still* same error message.
>
> I give up until after the members meeting if you or shayne haven't fixed it
> by then. ;-)
>
> -James
>

> On 04/11/12 18:46, David Sewell wrote:
>> James,
>>
>> Thanks for tweaking the MediaWiki settings! And if anyone
>> continues to have problems uploading files that should be
>> legitimately accepted we can investigate further.
>>
>> On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, James Cummings wrote:
>>

>>> David (Council CC'ed),
>>>
>>> This is actually a different problem. We've always had the
>>> permitted file types: png, gif, jpg, jpeg, ogg, zip, xsl, xml,
>>> dtd, odd, rnc, rng, txt, pdf. It is just an earlier upgrade on
>>> media wiki introduced script checking where it (falsely)
>>> identifies TEI files as potentially dodgy HTML or javascript.
>>> I've not investigated how it does this check and why it is
>>> failing, but found a number of reported  bugs about it.
>>>
>>> I've set $wgDisableUploadScriptChecks to true, and explicitly
>>> marked non-registered users as not being able to upload (though
>>> I think this was our default any way).  Piotr and Kevin will
>>> probably advise if this results in people who shouldn't being
>>> able to upload files.
>>>
>>> It allowed me to, but I might have special powers.
>>>
>>> Lou: We're not talking about uploading and processing TEI files
>>> of any particular type, but just uploading XML files in the
>>> same way you might upload PDFs or PNGs, etc.  Frankly if I was
>>> Martin I'd probably just link to the XML file provided elsewhere.
>>>
>>> -James

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA