[tei-council] Fwd: style lang definition

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 6 11:58:33 EDT 2012

Apologies, I had forgotten that the minutes of the Oxford meeting quite
clearly (if elliptically) provide a better solution to this problem.

* A new element, which will be declarable, to specify the style language
will also be created after discussion on council list.

* @scheme on <rendition> should be moved into its own class, so that the
new element can have it.

So here's for the "discussion on council list"

I am proposing to create a new element <styleDefDecl> to specify the
default formal language used to express rendition, and also a new
attribute class att.styleDef. This class will supply unchanged the
attribute @source, currently locally defined on <rendition>. The new
element will be a member of model.encodingPart, so it will occur,
possibly multiple times, within <encodingDesc> It will also be a member
of att.declarable, so you can use one language in one chunk of a
language and another in another. Nevertheless, I would like to  add some
prose to the effect that using more than one lang in a given document is
Not A Good Idea, since it makes the combination of rendition information
(already possible factored across three different places) needlessly
complicated.

Does this sound plausible?

And is there any support for my suggestion that in the absence of a
<styleDefDecl> we assume @style values (and <rendition> contents) are in
CSS?