[tei-council] CH and BCP 47 again

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Jul 2 08:48:26 EDT 2012

On 7/2/12 8:30 AM, Piotr Banski wrote:
> By this logic, we shouldn't bother to insert xml:langs in bilingual
> dictionaries. I'd have no problem with a uniform declaration that <pron>
> in that very dictionary is always to be interpreted as this-and-that
> script, and that <quote> inside <cit @type="translation"> is to be
> interpreted so-and-so.

That's all that I was implying!  I didn't mean to say that there is any
sort of global mechanism.

My point was that these examples are supposed to look like someone's
real-life encoding.  And in real-life encoding, you're unlikely to add
@xml:lang to every <pron> (or to <quote> inside <cit
@type="translation">) in a single bilingual dictionary.