[tei-council] CH and BCP 47 again

Piotr Banski bansp at o2.pl
Mon Jul 2 09:21:43 EDT 2012

My point is that this is what we are actually led to recommend for
real-life encoding, if that is to be machine-readable in the absence of
any extra mechanisms.

And further, that if we are indeed recommending this, then that should
be recorded in the Guidelines.

And next, that if we choose not to recommend using @xml:lang in such
cases, we should probably indicate that in the Guidelines, as a
"feature" of our encoding proposals.

I fully agree with you that this means massive redundancy, I'm just
saying that I can't see a way to avoid that, given our recommendations.

We might always say that for many/most projects, this can be handled at
the level of the ODD, and only those projects which can't use ODD for
that have to resort to massive redundancy straight inside XML instances.

Best,

   P.