[tei-council] @facs on graphic

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Jun 20 17:02:05 EDT 2012

On 6/20/2012 4:33 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 20/06/12 20:45, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Jun 2012, at 19:55, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>

>>> How about we soft-deprecate graphic at url in favor of graphic at facs?  (That
>>> is, we don't yet put graphic at url on a timeline for removal, but we also
>>> change the Guidelines to always recommend @facs instead of @url.)
>
> but they do different things! one says "the picture which should be here
> is actually over there", the other says "go there to find a picture of
> what is here"

Right, okay, sorry.  We've been through this one many times since I've
been on Council, and I have trouble remembering it.  I must admit that I
find the distinction meaningless for the <graphic> element in
particular, but if others feel that what we need is @url and not @facs,
so be it.

On 6/20/2012 4:10 PM, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
 > Agree utterly.
 >
 > It is to late (or too early) to suggest deprecating this aberration,
 > perhaps in P6?

It's only been out in the wild for a day or two, right?  I don't think
it would break Birnbaum to remove the possibility of graphic at facs
(somehow) if we really feel it's best.

--K.