[tei-council] @facs on graphic

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 17:32:06 EDT 2012

On 20/06/2012 22:02, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> On 6/20/2012 4:10 PM, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
>   > Agree utterly.
>   >
>   > It is to late (or too early) to suggest deprecating this aberration,
>   > perhaps in P6?
>
> It's only been out in the wild for a day or two, right?  I don't think
> it would break Birnbaum to remove the possibility of graphic at facs
> (somehow) if we really feel it's best.

That's not what I was suggesting at all, sorry. As Sebastian says, if
you can have <graphic> in <text>, then that graphic might be
representing something that you choose to describe and/or provide one or
more images of in a surface or zone in the <facsimile>, so @facs on
<graphic> is (a) perfectly sensible and (b) not saying the same thing as
@url at all.

What I was suggesting (to a resounding chorus of no support, I suspect)
was repairing the situation where @facs can point directly to an image
file rather than to a zone/surface which *represents* (and may also
describe and/or provide 1+ images of) the part of the document bearing
this attribute. I was arguing that in P6, we should not allow these two
divergent uses of the same attribute. (Once we cross over to P6,
Birnbaum will no longer apply, right? We *want* to break backward
compatibility between P5 and P6. :-) )

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL