[tei-council] Order of release steps

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jun 20 13:14:40 EDT 2012

On 12-06-20 08:56 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2012, at 16:44, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>
>> True, but unless we have a new build of the deb packages to build
>> with, we're building the latest product with an out-of-date version
>> of the deb package scripts. They may well not have changed
>> recently, so we get away with it, but that's certainly not
>> guaranteed.
>>

> well, we're building a latest P5 with (possibly) an older version of
> Stylesheets. Inevitably
>
>> Let's say, for instance, that at some point you make a change to
>> teitohtml.
> in the other package, yes
>

>> - In order for that change to be incorporated in a release, it
>> needs to be in the deb packages on the Jenkins servers, because
>> when building P5 products, Jenkins still uses the teitohtml script
>> which is in the deb packages, not the one from SVN.
>>
> true.
>
>> - In order to be in the deb packages, the deb packages have to be
>> built and released, and updated on Jinks.
>>
> true
>
>> - When they are built and released, they include a complete copy of
>> the current state of the P5 products -- which is not a final
>> release; it's an interim build. This interim build goes out into
>> the wild to every user of deb packages.
>>
> no, not true. the Stylesheets deb release has nothing to do with P5
> release, and has no copy of P5 in

I was assuming a release of the deb packages would include all of them,
and as Lou says,

> The deb packages are a way of distributing the release, argal they
> are a version of it, argal they can't be created until it is
> finalised, in all its raging glory.

tei-p5-schema.deb, for instance, includes all the schemas
(/usr/share/xml/tei/schema...)

But if you're saying that the only packages that get updated initially
for Jinks are the Stylesheets packages, which contain none of the
schemas or documentation, then that problem goes away. The stylesheets
packages get released first, then the main products are built, then the
rest of the debs are released.

> I honestly think you're inventing a crisis when there is none. Two
> _different_, _distinct_ packages are being worked on by the same
> people, and one uses the other to do its job. Sometimes we get in a
> mess, it happens.

OK, I'll shut up then.

  -- Sebastian Rahtz Head of Information and Support

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)