[tei-council] Order of release steps

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 11:56:25 EDT 2012

On 20 Jun 2012, at 16:44, Martin Holmes wrote:

> True, but unless we have a new build of the deb packages to build with, we're building the latest product with an out-of-date version of the deb package scripts. They may well not have changed recently, so we get away with it, but that's certainly not guaranteed.

well, we're building a latest P5 with (possibly) an older version of Stylesheets. Inevitably

> Let's say, for instance, that at some point you make a change to teitohtml.
in the other package, yes

> - In order for that change to be incorporated in a release, it needs to be in the deb packages on the Jenkins servers, because when building P5 products, Jenkins still uses the teitohtml script which is in the deb packages, not the one from SVN.

true.

> - In order to be in the deb packages, the deb packages have to be built and released, and updated on Jinks.

true

> - When they are built and released, they include a complete copy of the current state of the P5 products -- which is not a final release; it's an interim build. This interim build goes out into the wild to every user of deb packages.

no, not true. the Stylesheets deb release has nothing to do with P5 release, and has no copy of P5 in

I honestly think you're inventing a crisis when there is none. Two _different_, _distinct_ packages are being worked on by the same
people, and one uses the other to do its job. Sometimes we get in a mess, it happens.
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente