[tei-council] Jenkins builder script now working

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jun 13 17:54:56 EDT 2012

Hi all,

For the last couple of weeks, I've been working on a new iteration of
the Jenkins Builder Script which creates a Jenkins Continuous
Integration server to build the TEI products, like the two we currently
have running:

<http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jenkins/>
<http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca:8080/>

The new build script is intended for the latest Ubuntu Long Term Support
server edition, which was released in April, and which has five years of
support. (The last one was based on the 2010 LTS release.)

The script is now tested and working, and available in the TEI
repository. There's a page on the wiki about it:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Jenkins_server>

which I've also updated, and which has links to the script in the repo.

In the next little while, I'll be building a new Jenkins server to run
at the current UVic address, which will replace the old one.

A couple of points of interest: in this iteration, I've managed to
remove the dependence on the Sun/Oracle Java JDK, and everything now
runs on the OpenJDK. That means that there is only one non-free
component: we still rely on the Microsoft MSTT Core Fonts package, which
has fonts such as Verdana and Courier in it. How do you feel about
making an effort to get away from this dependency?

The main Oxford server also creates Kindle output, using the Amazon
kindlegen tool, but that's not open-source so I haven't included it in
the Jenkins script. It's easy enough to add it later, and the make file
detects whether it's there or not before trying to use it.

Note for Sebastian: Is the Hannom font still used? My script still
downloads it from SourceForge, but when I search the repo, the only
mentions of it I can find are in my script, and in the guidelines.log
file I have from building the Guidelines at some point (these lines
report that it's missing and can't be used). I do see lots of lines like
this in my pdfbuild.log:

kpathsea: Invalid fontname `HAN NOM A', contains ' '

suggesting that it might not be found by the PDF generation process
because of naming issues -- the font ttf files are here:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/hannom/HAN_NOM_A.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/hannom/HAN_NOM_B.ttf

and they don't have spaces in them.

If we're failing to use the font anyway, without consequences, could we
find an easier alternative -- something that's in the repos, to keep
things simpler?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)