[tei-council] Setting up read-only access to TEI Council list?

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat May 19 09:08:20 EDT 2012

I agree with both Piotr and Martin's positions: that's exactly what I
was trying to say by pointing out that setting up a parallel read-only
email list was just like subscribing people to the Council list itself.
(And makes me just as uncomfortable.)

I get the point about open government and all that (although that
argument would apply much more aptly to Board than to Council, I
contend), but we are open. It's one thing to say that all our
discussions are archived and publicly accessible--and that some people
do quite actively read the archives regularly--quite another to have
potentially dozens of people receiving each email in their inbox in real
time. I just don't see the point of it--if it were a sufficiently widely
interesting conversation, we should being having it on TEI-L, shouldn't
we? (And maybe a few of conversations that take place on this list
should be on TEI-L...?)

Now if someone wants to set up a web-scraper on the TEI-Council archives
and turn it into an RSS feed, and send each item in that feed to a
separate email in their inbox, that's their look-in, and I have no
objection to it. But inviting people onto the list in this way seems
excessive, and not any better practice or especially pointful. And
really the point is that a lot of what we talk about here is
administrivia, effectively. The point of having a council list is that
there's a small group of people who've committed to being happy to
receive lots of emails on sometimes technical sometimes trivial topics
and respond to them as appropriate. As Martin says, knowing that an
email exchange is going to fill the inbox of up to a dozen people is
quite comfortable; knowing that it could be many more changes the
flavour of it somewhat. We have conversations here that wouldn't would
have on TEI-L, precisely because hundreds of people don't want their
inbox to ping every time.

It's nothing to do with privilege, or secrecy, or closed-meetings, I
think it's just comfort and courtesy and good practice that the council
list should be populated by the council (and a few invited or assigned
others).

I rambled a bit in the middle there. I think I should have kept to the
first and last paragraphs above.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL