[tei-council] Editing the Guidelines

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed May 16 11:07:56 EDT 2012

On 12-05-16 05:57 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 16/05/12 13:42, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> I agree that we should be relying on Jenkins primarily; in fact,
>> it's the only thing we can really rely on, because local build
>> environments can vary a lot, and what works locally may fail when
>> you run it on Jenkins anyway. This is especially true now that
>> we're building on Jenkins with the SVN version of the
>> stylesheets; if you build locally with your Debian-packaged
>> stylesheets, they'll be out of date compared with the SVN versions.
>
> That hadn't occurred to me. But yes, adds strength to the 'let
> Jenkins do it' side of things.
>
>> However, I think it's probably not a bad thing to provide
>> instructions to help people do a basic validation of the
>> Guidelines XML. When you start editing the Guidelines, it's
>> slightly daunting to realize that you're editing fragmentary
>> files that can't be validated as you work. The two-step xmllint
>> -- noent... followed by validation against the Jenkins p5odds.rnc
>> should work well to reassure people before they commit changes,
>> especially the first few times they edit.
>

> Yes, I don't think we should remove instructions on how to do so
> locally (or, well, I guess I mean we should add the xmllint (or
> similar) validation against the expanded guidelines method.  (I'm
> assuming that wouldn't check schematron constraints we might have
> imposed, etc.?)

No, it wouldn't catch anything like that. Just XML validation against
the schema.

> The point of that should be local initial
> checking "Yup, I've not forgot to close an angle bracket or
> started that @xml:id value with a number" for those who don't
> want to go through the anguish of exposing their mistakes
> publicly. ;-)

Exactly. Like wot I did just before the last release: "pasted a bunch of
content before the XML declaration in a file, committed the result
without validating it, and then [went] off to have a leisurely breakfast
while the Jinks servers choked and spat it out. On release day."

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)