[tei-council] TEI TITE question

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 8 18:28:13 EDT 2012

On 08/05/12 18:29, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> (May I also put in a plea for James not to be so coy, and to summarise
> his arguments against on the ticket, because almost no one is going to
> click through to two blog posts from Sourceforge! I didn't. ;-) )

re: @rend ticket; Will do. (I'm for data.word use, but open to a
suggested valList)

Lots of back and forth today on Tite, seemingly with no clear
consensus.

I'm still of the opinion that using things like <b> and <i> are
perfectly reasonable TEI Conformable customisations of the TEI.
I did a TEI Corset customisation of the TEI for a project
recently which was byte-reduced (because keying company was
charging per kilobyte produced...weirdoes). Almost all
elements/attributes/values were single letters. I've not seen any
clear argument why such customisations need to be in TEI itself
rather than just as a data-entry or data-generation schema prior
to automatic conversion back to full TEI.

I had keyers do something like:

and convert it back to full TEI.  The point is that it is a
customisation with use of <equiv>, not a different schema.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev
Oxford University Computing Services