[tei-council] Fwd: TEI TITE question

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue May 8 09:58:52 EDT 2012

To respond to these two points ...

On 5/8/2012 8:52 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > We shouldn't forget that the Tite extra tags must come from _somewhere_,
 > not just plucked at random from a fevered brain.  Why did that group
feel these
 > were needed?

... I think the question is what uses of digital text the TEI aims to
support.  The Guidelines "are addressed to anyone who works with any
kind of textual resource in digital form", and yet:

a) We know that lots of workflows for large-scale digitization and
conversion from born-digital documents recognize italics and bold
without attempting to do the labor-intensive and difficult work of
distinguishing them (cf. Gabby's comment).

b) We know that people have identified bold, italics, superscript,
subscript, etc. as being such common features that they deserve their
own elements (as in Sebastian's comment).

It seems to me that there is a compelling case for supporting a certain
depth of encoding that doesn't try to disambiguate phrase-level
features.  (This is Level 3 in the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries.)
  This could be done using those particular features chosen for Tite.