[tei-council] Fwd: TEI TITE question

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 6 08:24:25 EDT 2012

Certainly no good reason to stop people defining convenience tags like
<hi> is defined to explain how, if there isn't one already. We *could*
also add them as first class TEI elements, perhaps in the transcr module
rather than the core though.  But why do we choose these rather minimal
indications of rendering? Shouldn't there be some tags for other kinds
of visual salience, notably for size of letters, letter spacing etc. ?
Oh wait, isn't that what <rendition> is for?

I also worry about the way that visual salience is not a simple matter.
If you mark up font change alone you will often completely miss the
point -- for example, the word/s in Roman within a paragraph in italic
are the ones that should be tagged, not the words around them which
happen to be in italic.