[tei-council] TEI TITE question

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 8 04:58:20 EDT 2012

On 08/05/12 09:38, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 7 May 2012, at 18:46, Paul F. Schaffner wrote:

>> or bold italic? If merely italic, then we clearly need<bi>.
>> Etc. etc.
>
> thats a matter of defining the rules clearly; and the
> problem of requests for additions is not trivial either.
> but neither are these things insurmountable

I think the point is that "defining the rules clearly" is not at all
obvious. Some values of @rend are commutative, and others are clearly
not. I would include in Paul's "etc etc" things like the following:

or (if you think "roman" is just the unmarked case) suppose it were "tt"

>>   And of course a user interested in using<b>  and<i>  is not
>> for that reason any less likely to be interested in capturing
>> (say)<l rend="indent">.
>
> actually, I think I'd propose that "kiss" deleted<hi>  rather than
> @rend passim

Thus leaving the inheritance issue entirely unchangeded? So I can do

and expect (or not) to see my foo in bold italic?

> please understand, I am doing a devil's advocate job here,
> I am not a strong proponent. But I think its a _possible_
> way forward.

I am sure we all agree that it's possible. Whether it's desirable is
another question however.