[tei-council] Fwd: TEI TITE question

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 6 12:00:08 EDT 2012

On 6 May 2012, at 14:06, Lou Burnard wrote:

> If @rend is hard to use "meaningfully" surely it's the right choice for
> sub/sup which are "seldom semantic".
different sort of meaningfully. I meant that using @rend is fairly
useless for interchange, but we could buy simple interchange
immediately with <sup> and <sub>

> I can't understand why people think sup and sub matter in things like
> page signatures or ordinal numbers.
good lord, surely its used for many more things than that?

of course it doesnt _mean_ much, but won't most encoders do
"The only grand child of the Right Rev<hi rend="sup">d</hi>"
and not "The only grand child of the Right Revd"? is that just
sentimental twaddle?

> But I suppose a module called sugar is the way to go. Needs a more
> sensible name though.

I suppose there are four choices

 1. say these are about transcription, and put them there (with <underline>)
 2. bung 'em in the swollen core, what the heck
 3. make a module for "born digital", and add in these elements cos they correspond to overwhelming modern practice
 4. create a specific module for syntactic sugar, with strict instructions that processors
    should expand these before processing, and guve unambiguous <equiv>s  for each thing

my preference varies between 3 and 4

sebastian