[tei-council] DCR alignment inside ODD

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Thu Apr 26 12:12:07 EDT 2012

On 25/04/12 22:59, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2012, at 21:40, Piotr Bański wrote:
>
>> I'm working on the ISO DCR / ISOcat issues.[1] Got stuck at the point of
>> adding the relevant pieces of text to the Guidelines.
>>
>> The enlightened way to align grammatical categories with the values of
>> the DCR is to put the appropriate references into the ODD, and I guess
>> <equiv> is the ideal place for that.
>>
>> I imagine, and please correct me if I am wrong, that for elements such
>> as <pos>, this action may be trivial:
>>
>> <elementSpec ident="pos" mode="change">
>>   <equiv dcr:datcat="http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-1345"/>
>> </elementSpec>
>
> <equiv url="http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-1345"/> is the syntax, I think.

@uri, but yes, except that maintaining the use of @uri (rather than
softly deprecating it) creates two devices for DCR alignment in the same
element; I think the introduction of att.datcat makes @uri spurious here
-- @uri seems to have the status of a historical placeholder for
att.datcat. (Right?)

>> The above makes it possible for us to happily realize that whenever we
>> do e.g.
>>
>> <gramGrp><pos>...</pos></gramGrp>
>>
>> all the machines in the world may know that by <pos>, we mean
>> http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-1345 .
> well, if they read the ODD yes. I think there is a certain amount
> of "simple matter of programming" involved here.

"simple", true... Well, for now I think I will concentrate on non-equiv
ways of implementing datcat, so that I can proceed in stages rather than
nab at everything at once.

>> However, there is also the content of <pos> to be handled, and it is not
>> so obvious to me how to represent this in the ODD. Intuitively, I'm
>> thinking of
>>
>> <elementSpec>
>> <content>
>> {list of values with their DCR references}
>> </content>
>
> a <elementSpec> can contain a <valList>, whose <valItem> children
> can have <equiv> children
>
> Does that help?

Some. Thanks. I looked at valItem but the description made me shy away
from it ("contains one or more valItem elements defining possible values
for an *attribute*") -- it made me think that using it for element
content is Bad.

> I suspect what you'd really like is to use a DTD which supplied default dcr:cat attributes to
> instances of <pos>.

I'm not sure how to handle this in DTDs. default dcr:datcat pointing at
a definition of the POS, sure. But I can't see how to use this approach
for the values (noun, verb, etc.), maybe I'm missing something again.

Best,

  P.