[tei-council] DCR alignment inside ODD

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 12:48:59 EDT 2012

On 26/04/12 17:12, Piotr Bański wrote:

[... snip ... ]

>> a<elementSpec>  can contain a<valList>, whose<valItem>  children
>> can have<equiv>  children
>>
>> Does that help?
>
> Some. Thanks. I looked at valItem but the description made me shy away
> from it ("contains one or more valItem elements defining possible values
> for an *attribute*") -- it made me think that using it for element
> content is Bad.

I'd say that description is erroneous and should be revised. Please put
in a ticket.

>> I suspect what you'd really like is to use a DTD which supplied default dcr:cat attributes to
>> instances of<pos>.
>
> I'm not sure how to handle this in DTDs. default dcr:datcat pointing at
> a definition of the POS, sure. But I can't see how to use this approach
> for the values (noun, verb, etc.), maybe I'm missing something again.

I am coming to this discussion under-prepared, but for what it's worth,
it seems to me that if what you want is to say "my <pos> elements all
have content/values defined by the ISO DCR", you certainly don't need to
say it on every <pos> occurrence. You could either say it in your ODD
using <equiv> (as previously noted), or you could also say it in the
<encodingDesc> somewhere. Similarly if you wanted to say that for your
@type attributes or anything else. But this seems different from saying
that your @type attribute or <pos> element itself is defined by the ISO
DCR.