[tei-council] summary of Council taking on a role in maintenance of Best Practices for TEI in Libraries

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 08:32:22 EDT 2012

On 28 Mar 2012, at 01:04, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> ... I can say that we've already accumulated quite a list of things to
> change:
>
> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Future_changes_to_Best_Practices_for_TEI_in_Libraries

This intensifies my concern. It is an interesting and fairly complex list,
to resolve which needs real work. The obvious solution would be to
form a subcommittee to examine the issues in details, and work out
what to do; and that subcommittee would pull in external experts,
and then waddya know, we'd have a SIG :-}

Comes back to the same problem. If there was someone here
on Council who was the natural lead to revise the BP,
they'd already have volunteered. Handing the job to the committee-as-a-whole
is just not going to work.

One way forward could be to stop treating TEI in libraries
as some sort of special case, and merge the whole BP thing
into the Guidelines for everyone. i.e. make the Guidelines
more prescriptive across the board than they already are.
So effectively the current BP is the draft of new sections
of the Guidelines.

It would arguably be a good use of money (had we any) to
pay someone to work on this for 3-6 months.
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group

Sólo le pido a Dios