[tei-council] PR for TEI in Google Books (was Re: some brief reports to save time during our upcoming conf call)

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Mar 5 09:29:26 EST 2012

Creative work is not the same as "sweat of the brow" in US copyright
case law.  It takes a lot of effort to compile a telephone book, but
there's no creativity in its arrangement.  So it is not copyrightable.

Google has developed algorithms for inserting markup, but no TEI
document created using this algorithm requires creativity.  So the
algorithm is copyrightable but not the documents it produces.

In any case, no need to trust me.  Let's just be ready with the PR
announcement in case Google does not attach a copyright notice to the
TEI document.  If they do attach a copyright notice, I'll be ready to
argue with the Google engineer that it's a spurious claim.