[tei-council] P5 releases: changes to boilerplate HTML code

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 11:32:48 EST 2012

On 2012-02-26 17:21, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> "Compact to XML format" -->  "Switch to XML format"
>>
>> XML format to compact" -->  "Switch to compact format"
>
> This is easier than it sounds. We'd have to get re-translations of the
> phrase for each language.   I don't mind, but whats the evidence
> that the existing words are confusing? its not been questioned
> in the ?6-7 years we've had the facility.

It's sure as hell confusing to me. I always have to squint at it to
figure out which way round it should be. I'd be inclined to suggest two
tabs, one ("compact") obviously "selected", and the other a button
reading "XML" (and vice versa). But failing that I like Kevin's
suggestion. (That no one has complained before is no indication that
it's not a problem. You know how much people prefer to keep quiet,
especially if doing otherwise might make them look ignorant.)

I would also suggest that we change this in English asap, regardless of
whether or not the other language versions are changed. The text
supplied by some of the other i18n groups might not be confusing, after
all, if the phrasing is quite different.

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL