[tei-council] P5 releases: changes to boilerplate HTML code

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Feb 26 12:43:05 EST 2012

On 2/26/12 12:21 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2012, at 16:41, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
>> One more suggestion:
>>
>> d) In the "Declaration" section of each element definition, there's an
>> HTML button that says "Compact to XML format".  If you click on it, the
>> button label changes to say "XML format to compact".  These labels are
>> confusing, so I'd like to suggest changing as follows:
>>
>> "Compact to XML format" -->  "Switch to XML format"
>>
>> XML format to compact" -->  "Switch to compact format"
>
> This is easier than it sounds. We'd have to get re-translations of the
> phrase for each language.   I don't mind, but whats the evidence
> that the existing words are confusing? its not been questioned
> in the ?6-7 years we've had the facility.

I confess that until this morning, I read "Compact to XML format" as "if
you click this, it will compact what you see into an XML format".  But
clicking on it gives you something more verbose, which is counter-intuitive.

Likewise, I read "XML format to compact" as "if you click this, it will
give you an XML format, which you can compact", but it in fact gives you
RelaxNG compact format.

It's true that those who need to figure things out without questioning,
but I'd like us to continue to strive for ease of use in everything we
provide.  This includes clear labeling.