[tei-council] Bug: make geo declaring

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 06:38:44 EST 2012

Now that I look at it, I'm not clear exactly what we do want to say
about the content/format of <geo>. As Martin says, we obviously want to
get rid of the note as written, which says:

1. all <geo> in a document need to use the same coordinate system;

2. in absence of <geoDecl>, this is assumed to be a space-delimited pair
of coords (lat followed by long) "according to the World Geodetic System."

The first part obviously needs to go; do we need to think some more
about the format we want to encourage as the default? It's true that a
coordinate pair will be the most common content, but what do we want to
recommend for people who want, like Martin, to represent a polygon or
polyline?

I was thinking that a useful rule might be to follow an existing
standard like gml:posList, but that expects coordinate pairs to be
comma-delimited, and lines/polygons to be made up of a space-delimited
list of such pairs. This is the opposite of what we seem to suggest now,
and would therefore break a lot of people's usage.

Any other suggestions?

(Final question: do we also want to give some guidance under <geoDecl>
about how to define more than one datum and refer back to them?)

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL