[tei-council] xml:lang="eng"

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 08:49:31 EST 2011

On 08/12/11 13:45, Martin Holmes wrote:
> I've fixed a bunch of language codes. I have two remaining questions:
>
> 1. transpose.xml has this example:
>
> <exemplum xml:lang="unk"><egXML
> xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">    <transpose>
>         <ptr target="#ib02"/>
>         <ptr target="#ib01"/>
>      </transpose>
>
> There is a language code "unk", but it is for the language Enawené-Nawé,
> which I have never heard of. I suspect what was intended in this case
> was "und", for "undetermined". Shall I go ahead and change that, or does
> someone remember having a particular fondness for an example in
> Enawené-Nawé?

This is what we call a wind-up right? Please change to "und".

> 2. The reason the xml:lang="eng" problems didn't show up through
> conventional XQuery- and XPath-based diagnosis is that those examples in
> ST-Infrastructure.xml are done as CDATA, like this:
>
>    <egXML xml:lang="und" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
> <![CDATA[<TEI>
> <teiHeader  xml:lang="eng">
>     <!-- ... -->
> </teiHeader>
> <text  xml:lang="fra">
>    <!-- chapter one is in French -->
>    <!-- chapter two is in German -->
>    <!-- chapter three is French -->
> </text></TEI>]]></egXML>
>
> I don't know why they're done this way, rather than putting the elements
> in the Examples namespace as normal. Does anyone know?

Yes. They are done like that because they are incomplete and hence
invalid -- the teiHeader notably -- and they predate the invention of
"feasibly valid" as a concept.

So imho you shd feel free to fix them. And to add the reference to the
new list of approved language identifiers too while you're at it.