[tei-council] xml:lang="eng"

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 8 08:45:49 EST 2011

I've fixed a bunch of language codes. I have two remaining questions:

1. transpose.xml has this example:

<exemplum xml:lang="unk"><egXML
xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">   <transpose>
       <ptr target="#ib02"/>
       <ptr target="#ib01"/>
    </transpose>

There is a language code "unk", but it is for the language Enawené-Nawé,
which I have never heard of. I suspect what was intended in this case
was "und", for "undetermined". Shall I go ahead and change that, or does
someone remember having a particular fondness for an example in
Enawené-Nawé?

2. The reason the xml:lang="eng" problems didn't show up through
conventional XQuery- and XPath-based diagnosis is that those examples in
ST-Infrastructure.xml are done as CDATA, like this:

  <egXML xml:lang="und" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
<![CDATA[<TEI>
<teiHeader  xml:lang="eng">
</teiHeader>
<text  xml:lang="fra">
  <!-- chapter one is in French -->
  <!-- chapter two is in German -->
  <!-- chapter three is French -->
</text></TEI>]]></egXML>

I don't know why they're done this way, rather than putting the elements
in the Examples namespace as normal. Does anyone know?