[tei-council] signed/list

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 21 09:35:15 EST 2011

Council,

If I could add a note to this discussion of the semantics and content
model of <signed> (and <closer>, etc.): this thread has spent time
considering the requisite tagging for a list of signatures, but I don't
believe anyone has discussed what to do with a table of signatures. In
our Washington Papers (among many others), we often confront a document
which in manuscript, and in printed representation, has in its closing a
neatly formatted table of signatories. In encoding, it is desired to
capture the tabular nature of the signatures. To my knowledge there is
no really adequate P5 way of encoding a table of signatures as (1) a
table with (2) semantic indication that it consists of signatures.
(<cell> cannot contain <signed>, for what it's worth.)

For our local practice, we extended the content model of <closer> to
allow <table>, but that's not really an ideal solution.

David

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA