[tei-council] [tei-board] website www.tei-c.org down?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 14 18:38:39 EST 2011

If this is the famous perm gen space error familiar to everyone who runs
Java servlets, then the simplest solution is a restart of the servlet
container(s) every few weeks. This troubles our Tomcats once every few
months, and we've never been able to find a long-term fix for it.

On 11-11-14 03:20 PM, David Sewell wrote:
> I've just seen this, as I'm in Washington getting ready to present at
> the NHPRC Commission meeting tomorrow. If Shayne Brandon has been
> contacted I'm not sure what more there is to do but await his diagnosis.
> It's not just the web server; www.tei-c.org is not taking ssh
> connections either, so I can't even log in to see what is going on (nor
> do I have full root privileges on the server). That happened a few weeks
> ago also, and the problem that time was an out-of-memory condition
> caused by a lot of concurrent Roma/OxGarage processes.
>
> The last time this happened, Markus Flatscher mentioned to me that
> OpenOffice is known to be a resource hog, and of course it underlies the
> OxGarage transforms... so ... it might be worth looking at ways to try
> to limit the number of concurrent requests, or find some other fix so
> that heavy Roma/OxGarage usage doesn't bring the system down again?
>
> David
>

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, John Unsworth wrote:
>
>> Yes; that's been reported to folks at Virginia, and I've just sent another email to see if there's a known cause or ETA to have it back online....
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Marjorie Burghart wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> For the record, at this moment the website appears to be down.
>>> Best wishes,  Marjorie
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marjorie BURGHART
>>> EHESS (pôle de Lyon) / UMR 5648
>>> Histoire et Archéologie des Mondes Chrétiens et Musulmans Médiévaux
>>> 18 quai Claude Bernard
>>> 69007 Lyon - FRANCE

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)