[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 12:19:05 EST 2011

On 13/11/11 17:10, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2011, at 17:02, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> As Syd replied to you when we discussed this months ago:
>>
>>> Hogwash!
>
> He was right to say that about my claim that the order of tokens is unordered; which means that
> your usage will work, if the processor knows what is to happen. I just think its Wrong :-}

Isn't the point that XML doesn't provide anyway of distinguishing

<foo a="x y"> from <foo a="y x">

i.e. a processor is required to return x and y separately, but is not
obliged to tell you which came first?

Or maybe I am making that up, by analogy with the (absence of) ordering
of attributes ---  <foo a="x" b="y"> and <foo b="y" and a="x"> are
entirely indistinguishable.